By Martha P. Nochimson
- Brings jointly the main innovative, in-depth, and fascinating scholarship on arguably the best residing Asian filmmaker, from a multinational team of demonstrated and emerging movie students and critics
- Covers a major breadth of themes similar to the culture of the jianghu in Wong's motion pictures; queering Wong's motion pictures now not when it comes to gender yet in the course of the artist's liminality; the phenomenological Wong; Wong's intertextuality; the USA via Wong's eyes; the optics of intensities, thresholds, and transfers of strength in Wong's cinema; and the diasporic presence of a few women from Shanghai in Wong's Hong Kong
- Examines the political, old, and sociological impression of Wong and his paintings, and discusses his paintings from a number of views together with sleek, post-modern, postcolonial, and queer theory
- Includes appendices which study Wong’s paintings in Hong Kong tv and commercials
Read or Download A Companion to Wong Kar-wai (Wiley Blackwell Companions to Film Directors) PDF
Similar film & video art books
Acclaimed in a global critics ballot as one of many ten top movies ever made, Stanley Kubrick's 2001: an area Odyssey has still baffled critics and filmgoers alike. Its acceptance rests mostly on its extraordinary lighting tricks, but the plot has been thought of unfathomable. severe consensus has been that Kubrick himself most likely did not comprehend the solutions.
A serious exploration of 1 of the main fascinating, unique and influential figures to emerge in modern movie, Guillermo del Toro: movie as Alchemic artwork is a tremendous contribution to the research of Guillermo del Toro's cinematic output. It bargains an in-depth dialogue of del Toro's oeuvre and investigates key rules, recurrent motifs and sophisticated hyperlinks among his videos.
Position, environment, standpoint examines the flicks of the Italian filmmaker, Nanni Moretti, from a clean standpoint, utilizing the more and more major learn zone of area inside a filmic textual content. The publication is conceived with the notice that house can't be studied in simple terms in aesthetic or narrative phrases: social, political, and cultural elements of narrated areas are both very important if a radical appraisal is to be accomplished of an oeuvre resembling Moretti’s, that is profoundly linked to socio-political observation and research.
Traditionally a resource of emigrants to Northern Europe and the hot global, Italy has speedily turn into a well-liked vacation spot for immigrants from the worldwide South. existence within the land of los angeles dolce vita has no longer appeared so candy lately, as Italy struggles with the cultural demanding situations as a result of this surge in immigration.
- Cut by Cut: Editing Your Film or Video
- The Secret Life of Ealing Studios
- High Noon: The Hollywood Blacklist and the Making of an American Classic
- The Crime Films of Anthony Mann
Additional info for A Companion to Wong Kar-wai (Wiley Blackwell Companions to Film Directors)
A Companion to Wong Kar-wai (Wiley Blackwell Companions to Film Directors) by Martha P. Nochimson